Marsha’s Fresh Peach Cobbler
An August favorite in our house
6 Tbsp butter
1 ¼ cups sugar, divided ¾ and 1/2
¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
¾ cup milk
2 cups (or more) of sliced peaches, peeled
Preheat the oven to 350°
- Melt butter in 2 qt baking dish in the oven. This both melts the butter and preheats the dish. (watch that the butter doesn’t brown)
- In a mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt
- Add milk and stir until mixed.
- Pour batter over melted butter in baking dish, but do not stir!
- Toss the peaches with remaining ½ cup sugar.
- Spoon over the batter. Again, do not stir!
- Bake at 350° for an hour, until golden brown on top. Yield 6 to 8 servings.
Pour some cream on top or serve with either whipped cream or ice cream.
Note: To peel the peaches
Cut a small X through the skin on the bottom of the peach. Plunge it briefly into simmering water (don’t cook it). Remove the peach from the water, the skin should then peel off easily in strips. If it doesn’t, try a little more time or maybe the peaches aren’t ripe enough.