Jim ‘N Nick’s Coleslaw
FROM BON APPETITE MAGAZINE
Jim ‘N Nicks is a chain of about two dozen barbecue restaurants across the south. Their slaw is crisp, refreshing and easy to make.
• 1 2-pound head of green cabbage, quartered, cored, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 14 cups)
• 1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup grated carrots
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• Place cabbage in large bowl. Add vinegar and sugar; toss to coat.
• Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Toss cabbage mixture well; cover and let stand 30 minutes longer.
• Drain cabbage. DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
• Transfer drained cabbage to another large bowl. Add carrots, green onions, and mayonnaise; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.