Cream Cheese Pound Cake
This delicious recipe comes from Macon, GA. Serve the cake plain, with ice cream, toasted (even for breakfast). I recommend it with blueberry sauce and ice cream.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 sticks butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups unsifted flour
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla or lemon extract
1. Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Gradually add flour and salt, and beat 3 minutes.
5. Add vanilla, and beat 2 minutes.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan, and place in a cool oven.
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Carolyn’s Note: I usually bake a little longer, maybe 2 hours and shield the cake with foil when it begins to brown.
Frank’s Note: Starting in a cold oven makes the baking time a little bit of a guess. Our newer energy-efficient oven takes much longer to heat up than our old energy hog. Follow Carolyn’s advice and judge by the color. The cake should be firm when it comes out of the oven, not jiggly like a custard. The brown crunchy crust is one of the joys of this cake.