Grandma Maritz’s Sugar Cookies
Makes about 90 and can be used in a cookie press, too.
1 cup butter at room temperature
½ cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tarter
- Combine dry ingredients
- Beat together the butter, oil, and both sugars
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and the vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined
- Drop by tablespoon in round balls or use a portion scoop for more uniform sizes on a cookie sheet. Flatten each dough ball so that the dough is about ¼ inch thick with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in white sugar. Do the sugar dip for every cookie, so there is a little sugar pressed into the top of each. (Coat the bottom of the glass with butter for the first dip so the sugar will stick)
- Bake at 350° for about 8 minutes.
To flatted or tamp down the cookie dough: