From Lisa Rolleri, the Domestic Diva, as baked at the Oak + Almond cooing class on January 31, 2015
WARM, SOFT CHOCOLATE CAKE
Makes 4 individual cakes
This simple yet elegant dessert, will impress your guests and gain rave reviews. You never have to reveal how simple it was, just enjoy!!
Because you want to serve this cake warm, prepare the batter and pre-heat the oven while you eat dinner.
When you’ve finished your main course, place the filled tins in the oven; the cake only requires a few minutes baking time. To serve, add a dollop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or crème fraiche to each plate and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the molds.
2 Teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting molds.
4 Ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably 65% cocoa (Valrhona works well)
2 Large eggs
2 Large egg yolks
¼ Cup Sugar
- Butter and lightly flour four 4 ounce molds, ramekins, custard or brioche tins work well. Tap out excess flour, butter and flour them again.
- In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, combine butter and chocolate, heat until chocolate has almost completely melted.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the eggs, yolks and sugar until light and thick.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and beat to combine. Quickly beat in flour until just combined. Divide batter evenly among the molds.
- Heat oven to 450°. Place filled molds on a baking sheet and bake until the sides have set but the center remains soft, 6 – 7 minutes.
- Invert each mold on a plate and let rest 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate.
- Garnish and serve immediately.