SHRIMP AND GRITS
2 Strips bacon
¼ c diced onion
¼ c diced red pepper
1T diced jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ lb Spicy sausage, Andouille, Chorizo or similar, sliced into bite size pieces
12/14 large shrimp
Water or broth
- Cook the bacon, reserve the cooked bacon
- Brown the sausage in the bacon fat, add more oil if needed. Remove and reserve
- Add more olive oil if needed and sauté the onions, peppers, jalapeno until tender. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Push the sauté mix to the edges of the pan and add the shrimp in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook undisturbed until browned. Turn and cook for a minute on the second side. Be careful not to overcook.
- Add back the sausage and crumbled bacon.
- Deglaze with white wine. Add a little broth and a squeeze of lemon juice. Give a few shakes of Pepper Sauce if you want more kick. There should be a little sauce in the pan.
- Swirl in a tablespoon of butter
- Serve over grits.
Down south they say it all tastes better if its cooked in a cast-iron skillet.
Quick cooking grits are fine, I like yellow, and finish them with a little butter, cream and plenty of salt.